ABOUT CURRIE | CURRIE BARRACKS CALGARY
CURRIE | CURRIE BARRACKS HOMES FOR SALE!
Community of Currie Barracks, Calgary, Alberta
One of Calgary’s most desirable neighbourhoods.
For over 100 years, this area now known as Currie, played an important role in the growth of Canada. This community’s history includes the following:
- In 1911, the site was designated by the Canadian government for military use. It was used for practice maneuvers prior to World War I.
- In 1933, the military base was built on the Currie site and was named after one of Canada’s most decorated military leaders: Sir Arthur William Currie.
- In 1966, Currie Barracks was renamed Canadian Forces Base Calgary (CFB Calgary).
- In 1995, the Government of Canada announced the closing of the CFB Calgary base and it was fully decommissioned in 1998.
- In 2009, Currie Barracks launched the first single-family home construction.
- In 2016, the community of “Currie Barracks” was officially renamed to “Currie.”
When Canada Lands Company purchased this area, it became one of the largest redevelopment sites within an established community; three phases spread over 400 acres (162 hectares). Today, it is in its third and final phase: community development. Garrison Woods, Garrison Green, and now Currie, are some of the most desirable Calgary neighbourhoods to live in thanks to their mixed-use housing, green spaces, sustainable development and historical landmarks. Once complete, it will have as many as 5,700 single and multi-family homes. This popular area has many nearby recreational amenities which include the Flames Community Arena, Richmond Green Golf Course and Glenmore Aquatic Centre.
Amenities include: Safeway, Safeway Liquor, David’s Tea, Village Ice Cream, Starbucks, Blush Lane Organic Market, Shoppers Drug Mart, Phil & Sebastian Coffee Roasters, Cobbs Bakery, Scotiabank and other local boutiques in the Garrison Village.
- Currie Barracks is in the vicinity of numerous off leash dog parks.
- The neighbourhood is a great retirement community; multiple seniors residences are located here.
- Currie is only a seven minute drive to downtown, 15 minutes to downtown by bike and only 25 minutes drive to Calgary International Airport. It is less than a 10 minute drive to the West LRT Stations.
- As much as 23 acres of land within this area will become future office and retail space, as well as designated heritage sites and parks to pay homage to the Canadian Forces.
- The community is located beside Mount Royal University.
- For those who love the outdoors, Currie Barracks is close to Calgary’s beautiful Weaselhead Flats – a popular outdoor destination overlooking the Glenmore Reservoir.
Schools/universities in Currie/Currie Barracks and surrounding communities include:
- E. Cross School: Regular (7-9), Spanish Bilingual (7-8)
- Glenbrook School: Regular (K-6)
- Central Memorial High School: Regular (10-12), Advanced Placement (AP) (10-12), Career & Technology (10-12), Dual Credit (10-12), Off-Campus Work Experience (10-12)
- Catholic Schools: Holy Name School (K-6), St. Michael School (K-9), St. James School (K-9), St. Mary’s High School (10-12)
- Mount Royal University
- Bethany Chapel of Calgary
- Calgary Grace Lutheran Church
- Christian Life Assembly
- Friends Church Calgary
- Altadore Baptist Church
- Knox Presbeteryn Church
- Rutland Park
- Lincoln Park
- Marda Loop
- North Glenmore
Popular Attractions Nearby:
- The Military Museums
- Heritage Park Historical Village
- Sandy Beach
- Chinook Mall
- Wild Rose Brewery
- Elboya Park
- South Glenmore Park
- Weaselhead Flats
- Flames Community Arena
Looking to buy or sell in the Currie/Currie Barracks neighborhood, schedule a home showing or need more information? Contact us today.