Community of Bowness, Calgary, Alberta
One of the most attractive Calgary communities to live in
Bowness is a community located in north west Calgary. Bounded by the Bow River to the north and east, Highway 1 (16th Avenue) to the south and Stoney Trail to the west, Bowness was once its own town that was separate from The City of Calgary. In 1964, the community was amalgamated and officially made part of Calgary.
Bowness is a popular infill community because of its relative affordability. The community is full of older homes being torn down to construct multiple buildings on the same plot of land and is popular for investors seeking large lots to convert to duplexes and fourplexes. Future development in the area will continue to make Bowness a top community for years to come. Just west of Bowness, is the Greenwich community which will include Calgary Farmer’s Market West. In addition, with the final leg of the Calgary Ring Road (Stoney Trail), Bowness easily connects north west with south west Calgary.
Bowness amenities include the Four Points Sheraton Hotel, Sandman Hotel, Denny’s, Starbucks, Wendy’s, Opa, Space Place Self Storage and Rona.
- Distance to the downtown core is about 15-20 minutes and the BRT (Bus Rapid Transit – larger buses with fewer stops) runs along Bowness Trail for an easier commute to downtown.
- One of the most popular parks in Calgary is Bowness Park for both summer and winter activities. It is a popular place for skating, picnics, summer sports and boating.
- Bowness is adjacent to WinSport which includes a variety of Olympic and recreational sports such as tubing, bobsleigh, public luge, skeleton, skating, hockey (shiny), skiing and snowboarding. Summer activities include summer bobsleigh, North America’s fastest zipline, bungee jumping (free fall), mini golf, a scenic chair lift to the top of the hill, mountain biking, skyline luge and public skating.
- It takes less than five minutes to exit Calgary via Highway 1 (16th Avenue West) and escape to the mountains.
- NOtaBLE Restaurant located in neighbouring Montgomery is a top upscale bar/eatery restaurant in Calgary.
Schools/universities in Bowness and surrounding communities:
- River Valley School
- Belvedere Parkway School
- Bowness High School
- Thomas B. Riley School
- Bowcroft School]
- Our Lady of the Assumption School
- R B Bennett Elementary School
- Shepherd Of The Hills Lutheran Church
- Full Gospel Church West Calgary
- Awaken Church
- Calgary Manmin Church
- Rockpointe Church
- Scenic Acres
- Silver Springs
- Arbour Lake
- Trinity Hills
Popular attractions nearby:
- Bowness Park
- Bowmont Park
- Baker Park
- Olympic Park
- Downhill Karting by Skyline Luge Calgary
- Edworthy Park
- Shouldice Park
Looking to buy or sell in the Bowness neighborhood, schedule a home showing or need more information? Contact us today.